Pioneer School overlooks downtown Zanesville from Pioneer Hill. Its opening was in 1915, two years after the City was ravaged by the 1913 Flood. It served as a public school until it closed in 2005. In 2006, the school was purchased by David and the late Katherine Mitzel, who recreated 8,000 square of its 30,000 square feet as their home. Now, the building is repurposed as the headquarters of Appalachian Hills of Ohio Territory (AHoOT) and PSZ Clay Center. The Pioneer School (PSZ Clay Center) is currently under construction to provide brand new facilities for our resident artists and the Zanesville community. Coming this fall, we will offer community classes, one-day classes, and art exhibitions in our newly renovated building!